We recently relandscaped our entire backyard. When hiring a landscaper, you want to find someone you can work with, someone that listens and is able to create your vision .Hiring a landscaper to create your dream garden is a big decision so to help you we have put together a list of what you should consider when looking for a landscaper to carry out work in your garden:
I thought I would put together a few things that I thought would have been helpful to me when I was looking for a landscaper.Hiring a landscaper to create your dream garden is a big decision so to help you we have put together a list of what you should consider when looking for a landscaper to carry out work in your garden:
Once I thought about what I wanted and what I could afford I searched Google for a landscaper and read reviews. If you search for Landscapers in San Clemente (or whatever city you are in), you will find a list of companies. Don’t let the name fool you, most provide a variety of services including tree trimming, tree removal, etc along with landscape design and landscaping services. Make sure you check out the online reviews.
I also drove around my neighborhood and asked you some of my neighbors used.
Here are a few things to think about:
- What kind of trees and plants do you like and how are you planning on using the space? Think about what you are trying to create. A traditional English garden, a place to entertain – hang out and eat, a play area for kids, or a fruit and vegetable garden. Once you come up with your vision and how you are planning to use your space, you will want to tell your landscaper all about it. You will want to look at the landscape designers portfolio and ask for sketches so you can see if they understood your dream for your yard or garden. You will want to list what you like as well as what you don’t like.
- Know your budget! Landscape designs, plants, irrigation and water features and landscape lighting can all get expensive. Make sure that your landscaper understands your budget and helps you stick with it. Most of us have champagne tastes on beer budgets.
- Get References. You will want to get quotes from 2 or 3 different landscaping companies. Be sure to check online reviews like I mentioned earlier and get references (ask to speak with past clients not just look through portfolios) from previous work. You will be working with your landscaper very closely so make sure it is someone you like, feel that you can work with and especially someone you can trust.
- Are they licensed and insured? Before you sign the contract make sure that your timeline, and make sure your budget is spelled out. You will want to make sure they have insurance and that they are licensed to do the work that has been agreed upon. Only give them a deposit until the work is complete and done to your satisfaction. This way you can be sure they will complete the job.
- It is going to be dirty, but it doesn’t have to be messy. Be sure that you understand the timeline. You will want to make sure you have other options for pets and kids while the yard is being transformed. It is dirty and dusty and can be muddy if it rains. Lastly, make it clear that they don’t leave things a mess. Spell out the fact that you want them to pick up their trash, lunch bags, soda cans and bottles etc so your yard doesn’t look like a junk yard and so you don’t have to spend all day cleaning up after them.
Hope this article helps and enjoy your new backyard or garden area!